On Thursday 23rd November 2006 All Saints’ School celebrated its Silver Jubilee. Originally sited on South Road in 1867, and opened under a 'trained and certified teacher’ from Battersea, the school was later expanded to include the buildings on Haydons Road – which still exist today as the local Community Centre.
On these sites it continued to educate the young of the Parish and its surrounds for many years but, following the demolition of the old buildings on South Road, and with evidence of the growing inadequacies of the Haydons Road building, plans were drawn up for a new school to be built in the parish.
Construction by Sloggetts (Builders) Ltd. working under the direction of Thomas Ford & Partners (Architects). began on a site at the bottom of Deburgh Road in the late 1970’s and, following the closure of the Haydons Road building at the end of the summer term in 1981, the first pupils walked through the doors of the new building in September. About two months later, on the 23rd November, it was officially opened by H.R.H. the Princess Margaret.
Now, almost twenty-five years later, the celebrations have begun. A special church service was held in church at 9.30.a.m. on the 22nd. November - at which the preacher was the Reveren Canon John Hall, who was the incumbent at All Saints' when the school was opened. And to rekindle some old memories, here are just a few photos of those first years of the new school buildings.
The Empty Site The Building Takes Shape
The New Hall Site Meeting - 'Is this the right way up?'
The First Day
Opening of the New School - 23rd November 1981