One of the great ‘Gothic Revival’ architects, J.T Micklethwaite was Master of the ‘Art Worker’s Guild’ in 1893 – the year after the Consecration of All Saints’ Church – and succeeded William Morris to the post. The Guild was founded in 1884 at the Charing Cross Hotel and its aims were, and still are, to advance education in all visual arts and crafts and to foster and maintain high standards of design and craftsmanship in a way that might be beneficial to the community.
Micklethwaite also became Architect and surveyor of Westminster Abbey and S. George’s Chapel Windsor.
He was a prominent lecturer for the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings and carried out the first conservation campaign for Kirkstall Abbey in the 1890’s.
He was architect for many English churches – many of which were specifically designed for Anglo-Catholic Worship.